Wednesday, January 11, 2017
JPM Meeting Notes - HedgePath Pharmaceuticals (HPPI)
HedgePath Pharmaceuticals (HPPI) is another name I’m very excited about for 2017. The company’s Phase 2b trial with SUBA-Cap (itraconazole) is continuing to enroll patients. Target enrollment is 40 patients and it sounds like the company will get to that number by the end of the first quarter 2017. That sets up several catalysts for the shares over the near-term, including interim and full data analyses from the Phase 2b study in patients with Basal Cell Carcinoma Nevus Syndrome (BCCNS). As a reminder, I think the previous interim updates from the company have been outstanding.
If the full data analysis looks as good as the interim updates, I think you will see the company file for approval after this Phase 2b study. That’s not unprecedented. Both Roche (with Erivedge®) and Novartis (with Odomzo®) gained approval in their respective BCC patient populations after only Phase 2b studies. SUBA-Cap has several important advantages over both Erivedge and Odomzo that lead me to believe SUBA-Cap could become the market leader here. Itraconazole is well known and has been used safely in a chronic regimen by AIDS patients for decades.
Investors also need to understand the opportunity in BCCNS is substantial. Yes, this is an ultra-rare disease and only impacts 10,000 patients in the U.S., but these are patients that suffer a horrible affliction and often undergo multiple excisions a year for as many as hundreds of BCCNS tumors. Erivedge and Odomzo are not approved for BCCNS and I believe HedgePath can corner this market – a $250 million opportunity. The obvious progression for HedgePath would then be to expand the label into locally advanced and/or metastatic BCC, the label for Erivedge, which presents easy another $500 million peak sales opportunity. That makes HedgePath look cheap to me. Keep in mind, Novartis originally developed and gained approval for Odomzo in the narrow population of locally advanced BCC, and just sold the drug to Sun Pharma for $175 million in December 2016!
I discussed two other topics with management. The first is the fact that Mayne Pharma, a rapidly growing generic pharmaceutical company with a new focus on dermatology, recently just acquired 50.5% of HedgePath. Mayne is the manufacturer of SUBA-Cap for the clinical studies and it is logical to believe that Maybe will eventually acquire the remaining 49.5% of HedgePath (at a premium in my opinion) once the regulatory hurdle has been cleared. This is the clear exit for HedgePath investors and I do not think it is much beyond 1-2 years away.
The second topic of discussion was the recently filed an application seeking Breakthrough Therapy Designation (BTD) for SUBA-Cap for the treatment of BCCNS. The turnaround time on those applications is hard to peg exactly, but this sets up a major catalyst if granted in the coming months.
Please see important information about BioNap, Inc. in our Disclaimer.
BioNap is long shares of HPPI.